 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8007
Re: What kind of events do Ontario LEGO builders want? (WAS Re: [rtlToronto] Roadshow 2003 Toronto)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:53:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Andrew Keeping wrote:

Which is fine... perhaps.  I may have overestimated the potential interest that
a show like this would draw.  Admittedly, this is the first year LEGO fans have
been invited to participate in this show that is now in it's 25th year.  And...

I've been trying to attend this show for the last 8 years or so and still
haven't made it there yet. :-(  There always seems to be something else that
comes up that weekend that needs to be taken care of.  Since there is going to
be a definate LEGO presence this year I'll still mark it on my calender and plan
to attend as a spectator but I can't budget the time to participate in the show
any other way.

For the record, it's always held on the first full weekend of November.  As
well, it's not just a show for geeky adult men with hobbies.  The quilting
exhibit has become large over the last few years... great for wives that quilt
or sew. There's always a 'build-it-and-take-it' model rocket exhibit... great
for the kids.  And I suspect most of us (no matter how deep into LEGO) could
find another of the hobbies to be interesting.  I suspect the LEGO train guys
would enjoy seeing the HO train modellers.  The radio controlled boats are
always a big attraction for me.

I realize that the idea of simply displaying your models (without other
Brickfest type events) doesn't hold much appeal for some of you.  But here is a
chance to build something for others to share, to meet other LEGO fans you might
not otherwise get to know in person, and generally just help promote LEGO as an
adult hobby.

So here's my next series of questions:  Is the fact that there's never been a
large show like this in Ontario due to the fact that there's no interest in
having one?  Or is there no interest, because no one's ever assembled an event
like this?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I think a lot of Lego enthusiasts are
kind of hidden in the closet still and have no idea about the number of LEGO
fans and collectors that there are out there.  Heck, until I got onto the
internet a few years ago I figured I was the only person around that collected
LEGO.  When I tell folks about my hobby I still get wierd looks and comments
like "Hmmm... I had no idea anyone would collect that"

So does this event need greater exposure?  Beyond LUGNET?  If so, where would
that be?

As an FYI, I sent out over 50 personalized emails, inviting builders from across
Ontario to participate.  This list was gathered by going through LUGNET members,
regional postings, and other Internet searches.  If you (meaning anyone reading
this) didn't get one of those emails, it's simply because you didn't appear on
the radar I was using.  Please please feel free to email me at:

hobbyshow@apotome.com

If you are at all interested in coming.  Not getting one of those invites does
not mean you are not welcome.  Every builder with an interest in participating
is welcome to attend.

Would it help if the LEGO company were participating in this show?  Would it
help to know that the building has night-time security and that all models would
be safe over the weekend?  Or to know that participants get into the show free?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Well, the last two are solid 'Yes' answers.  We will have some peripheral
support from the company, though the exact nature of that support has not yet
been defined.  However, I suspect if the participation in this event grows
significantly, we might be able to lure them out... as in Germany recently.

I'm just curious what might help draw more builders out of the woodwork.... and
I think there are more out there.  :)

I think having it more advertised around the area through the general media
would help drum up interest.  Try to get some tv stations or newspapers to do
some human interest stories on folks that are planning to attend the show and
preview some of the things they plan to display.

I agree, though am not entirely sure how to pursue this line of action.  Anyone
have contacts at any of the regional freebie papers?  Or even at some of the
major newspapers, or perhaps CityTV?

Does Toronto seem too far away for some people?  Are people concerned about
costs related to travelling and lodging?  Are people intimidated by the idea
that their creations might not be as spectacular as someone else attending?

It takes me 2 hours to drive to TO.  I don't mind planning a day trip, but I
couldn't commit to a 3 day event like this.   I have other commitments at
home that I can't ignore for that length of time.  There is also the
discussion I started a few months back about the fact that I don't really
like to go to TO any more than I have to.

Given all that, would you then be interested in participating (being behind the
booth) for even one day?  How about if it was just to field questions from the
public and chat with the other participants?

There you go folks.  I hope this message will draw some discussion,
suggestions... debate even.  I know that there is a large LEGO event just
waiting to happen in this part of the world, I'm just not sure what it is.

For those already volunteering to attend the show... my many thanks.  This
year's show will happen, for sure.  We have our table space and we will be
there.  Will it happen again next year?  I'm not sure.

I hope it will happen again next year.  Especially if I can't make it this >year.

My reason for trying to generate some interest is that I fear this may be a
one-time-only deal.  And I think that would be a shame.  I think this has the
opportunity to be a nice gathering of Canadian fans... once a year... at a venue
that's already booked and doesn't cost a thing... to share with the public....
which doesn't conflict with a Brickfest etc.  My question was sincere... if this
isn't the type of event that builders in this area want, then is there something
else we can do?  I think Ontario is large enough on it's own to support a major
once-a-year LEGO-related event.  I figured the Hobby Show provided a built-in
infrastructure to at least get the ball rolling.

I think a small scale LEGO fan get together in an area outside of totonto would
still be a good idea.  I just don't know where a good place to have it would be.

I guess the real question is... which side of Toronto?  Do you hold it toward
London way?  Or somewhere nearer to Ottawa?

I would still like to get to one of the r.t.l. TO gatherings if I ever get the
time.

I agree.  I am guilty of not making an effort to get out and meet the rtlToronto
folks.  And I hope to correct that someday soon.

Thanks for the input Andrew.

All the best,
Allan B.