 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6467
Re: Hmm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:54:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:

http://members.rogers.com/militaryduckjock/temp/Imgp1149.jpg

That looks familiar! I had the exact same setup on one of the earlier
versions of my car assembly line. I was going to try a carousel instead of
the conveyor... I couldn't be bothered to do the math, but I think its
close. But the exact dimension is across the points, not the sides! So if
you wanted to make it more rigid, you could attach the corners opposite the
'open' sides of the turntable.
I hadn't realized you wanted to make this quite so small... If it was bigger
you could make a hexagon out of equilateral triangles.

http://www.amusementrides.de/ra_thrill/jumping/pics/erect18.jpg

Here is how HUSS is doing the crown and lay-out arm system at the top of the
tower, for the Jump.

(from:  http://www.amusementrides.de/ra_thrill/jumping/jumping.html )

The incredible part of this is that for laying down of the tower onto the
trailer (for transporting), see those two pins that hold the triangular
weldments, that hold those long linkages?  Well, the lower pin pulls out,
and those fold down, leting the lay-out arms fold up close to the tower.
It's just awesome.

http://www.amusementrides.de/ra_thrill/jumping/pics/trans11.jpg

On the Jump2 there are three guide rods extending vertically to guide the
crown, I really like the looks of that but I don't think I can get that done
in LEGO.  The stroke of the crown on my model will probably be longer than
12 studs so I cannot use axles.

I was at the point last night where I thought I could mount the arms
themselves to the turntable (onto the hexagonal ring), but I am having a
really hard time at figuring out a simple hinge for that, too.  I forgot how
much fun it is to build stuff out of LEGO, but at the same time, sometimes
it is just unbeliveabally frustrating.  I want to do a really good job with
this, and I'm scared I won't be able to.  I keep playing around with ideas
for the next contest, too, and get stuck.

some of their product names are just horrid.

I don't have a catalogue handy to give specific examples, but yes, JERKER is
a pretty terrible name.

Espically for the computer desk of a single bachelor.  :)

(insert obligitory "oily tires" reference)

    Iain