 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6457
Re: Hmm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:00:37 GMT

"Rob Stehlik" <robbby31@hotmail.com> wrote in message

If you have a lot of these hinge plates then you can build a hexagon with
perfect geometry.

That is probably the best way - but I have to define the shape somehow,
otherwise it's just a floppy frame.

The nice thing about a hexagon is that the distance between two opposite
points is an exact number. This makes it easy to attach the hexagon to a
turntable:

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/images/robots/hexagone/competition1.jpg
The other spokes attached to the turntable were the result of trial and
error. They seemed to fit nicely though.

I thought the hardest part would be attaching the hexagonal frame to the
turntable (which is exactly what I need to do)!  I will have to play around
with it, but maybe if I build a hexagon with 4x1 beams and hinge plates,
that when it streatches open it will stradle the uprights on the turntable.
That would be an ideal case, anyway.  Knowing my luck the math won't work
out, though.  I can't quite see how you did it on Hexagone!

Now my big problem is that the cylinder for lifting and lowering the crown
needs to have the wire pass through the hole in the turntable also.

This is really hard.

    Iain