 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6146
Re: Pipe Racers Demo Videos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 04:59:39 GMT

I think it will be a real challenge lugging around an RCX while still being
able to traverse joints. Speaking of joints, do you think there will be any
T's, or just elbows. Getting a device to drive through a series of pipes and
elbows shouldn't be too hard since there would only be one path. But if
there are multiple paths the robot has to make decisions and somehow have
the ability to open in order to drive along the chosen route. This sounds
like it would be VERY hard.

Originally it was my goal to have T's and Y's but for a first contest, I
think we should do just elbows so everyone gets comfortable with pipes.

So, I was talking with Chris the other day, and he suggested we go straight
to doing T's and Y's without stopping for 45 deg joints only as a first event.

John Guerquin mailed me about the issue:

I have a feeling that going to T-joints would make things infinitely more
complex, ie. too complex I think.  The difficulty level would be greater
than project X.  The racer would have to "open up" in order to let go of one
pipe, and attach itself to the next pipe.  The location of the opening would
have to be different if the robot wanted to go straight, vs. going right,
or going left, or up, etc.

I think we should try it on just straight pipes first (racers V.1), as
Ithink the suspension VS. traction design trade-off (for climbing 45 degree
or vertical pipes) will not be easy. The more complex the bot, the heavier
it is, the more traction it would require to go straight up, and the more
complex the suspension system. Then for Racers V.2 we could do joints.
Just a thought...

I think this will be a good discussion topic for dinner....

I think our first attempt at Racers game should be 45 deg joints only, like
John.  But we could do it like this:  rtl13: the box game is March 15.  We
do rtl14 in June, with T and/or Y joints, with a sub event at the University
without the public say around late April or early May.

I'm of the belief that a simple piperacer is within a week or two of work
for everyone in the group.  Any comments?  Ideas?

Calum