 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6170
Re: Pipe Racers Demo Videos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:09:52 GMT

BOLTS!!!!

It suddenly came to me, about a minute ago:

I don't want Ts. I *REALLY* don't want to deal with Ts.

And, I agree that friction fit pipe probably will not hold without some
sort of support.

However, we could use BOLTS!

Drill a hole through both walls of the pipe, so that they line up. Do
this at each end, and drill corresponding holes in the flanges of the
corners. Countersink the holes on both sides, so that the bolts and nuts
don't stick out past the surface of the plastic.

I would be willing to make some (or all, depending on how many we need)
of these and bring them with me to whatever event we do this at
(assuming I come).

And after writing this post, I realised that this limits you to 2
dimensions. There is a way around this: drill more holes in the ends of
the pipes, offset by 90 degrees (or whatever) from the other holes.

Trevyn.

Derek Raycraft wrote:
Calum Tsang wrote:

I think our first attempt at Racers game should be 45 deg joints only,
like
John.  But we could do it like this:  rtl13: the box game is March
15.  We
do rtl14 in June, with T and/or Y joints, with a sub event at the
University
without the public say around late April or early May.

I'm concerned that we won't be able to support a track of much length
without having Ts to support the structure.  The weight of a robot with
one or two RCXs is quite significant.  I don't think friction fit 2" ABS
pipe is going to hold.

If we add Ts to the course to support the structure we could set out
some simple rules like, when approaching a T the correct path will
always be straight through.  This will only require the robot open a
path for the cross pipe to pass through.  It won't have to negotiate a
change in direction as well.  We could also say the T will always face
down.  This way you don't have to fight gravity as much like if the T is
facing up.

Anyway I'm happy to include simplified Ts in the contest.

Derek