 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6169
Re: OT: Elevator Machine Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:42:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
This is sort of an obscure question...

Has anyone ever toured or been inside a machine room (room with motor and
control equpment and such) for an elevator?

Yes and the newer elevator rooms are not that exciting.

I'd really like to get to see
the machine room for the 3 elevators in the building I live in, but I'm not
sure how you "ask" about that.  I'm concerned that it sounds kind of odd at
the other end (to the people in charge); it's something most people don't
care about or take for granted, but I have a high level of interest in.

In some older elevators I've seen the more interesting equipment is at the
top of the shaft.

How do I explain to the building manager "Um yeah, I'm like... an elevator
enthusiast..." :-/  Maybe if I said I was writing a paper for school or
something on lifts, and wanted some pictures of the hoisting equipment.

Check the inspection certificate that is sometimes mounted in the elevators,
there shoud be an experation date on it. You may be able to learn when the

Maybe I'm better to pursue that elevator testing tower down near Dundas,
west of 427?

   Iain

If you want to see the inside of a hydralic elevator room you will be very
disappointed. Basically you have the control cabinet that has the main
electrical feed and the hydralic fluid with lines out to the car. There is
usually an electrical panel or disconnect in the room also and a small box
for the fire alarm controls and emergency recall.

As for the high rise cable operated I think the older ones are much more
interesting.

Daniel #574