 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6174
Re: OT: Elevator Machine Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 04:11:16 GMT

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote in message

My suggestion, if you're not in a hurry: ask when the next maintenance is
scheduled, then ask the technician if he'll let you see how the room is. • If
you enjoy some familiarity with the premises administrator, it is better • to
let him know too (don't feel worried about how it may look like, remember
you are an AFOL ;-)

I think I will write a letter and leave it in the office explaining my
wishes, then it is up to them to contact me back if they think it is a
reasonable request.  And it doesn't put me on the spot mumbling about how
I've not really any reason to go up to see the hoist motor, but that I just
want to. :)

PS - I was somewhat disapointed after having the chance to enter this
"forbidden room"; there was nothing more than a big engine with a big • wheel
for each elevator... it can be different in a tall building, though.

I think for me the apeal is more in that, I ride in the cabin every single
day but I don't know what any of the things behind the scenes look like.  I
get a big thrill out of things like that.  I understand how simple modern
lifts are (just a series of ropes pasing over the sheave directly coupled to
the rotor of the drive) but it is still a huge excitement for me.  As anyone
who knows me will tell you, I am very, very easily entertained by even the
simpelest of things.

    Iain