 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6167
Re: OT: Elevator Machine Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:46:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
This is sort of an obscure question...

Has anyone ever toured or been inside a machine room (room with motor and
control equpment and such) for an elevator?

I have, once. My dad was in charge of our building for some time, and when
the technician came to the inspection I was allowed in with them.

I'd really like to get to see
the machine room for the 3 elevators in the building I live in, but I'm not
sure how you "ask" about that.  I'm concerned that it sounds kind of odd at
the other end (to the people in charge); it's something most people don't
care about or take for granted, but I have a high level of interest in.

How do I explain to the building manager "Um yeah, I'm like... an elevator
enthusiast..." :-/  Maybe if I said I was writing a paper for school or
something on lifts, and wanted some pictures of the hoisting equipment.

My suggestion, if you're not in a hurry: ask when the next maintenance is
scheduled, then ask the technician if he'll let you see how the room is. If
you enjoy some familiarity with the premises administrator, it is better to
let him know too (don't feel worried about how it may look like, remember
you are an AFOL ;-)

Maybe I'm better to pursue that elevator testing tower down near Dundas,
west of 427?

You still have to ask someone to look around...

HTH,

Pedro

PS - I was somewhat disapointed after having the chance to enter this
"forbidden room"; there was nothing more than a big engine with a big wheel
for each elevator... it can be different in a tall building, though.