 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6173
Re: OT: Elevator Machine Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 04:15:54 GMT

"Chris Magno" <hollynorth@bellnet.ca> wrote in message

Has anyone ever toured or been inside a machine room (room with motor • and
control equpment and such) for an elevator?

YES.

Thank you for elaborating, oh master of details and infintite descript.

as a second side note, an elevator is a VERY SIMPLE counter weight
system as used in live theatre. (called a single purchase counter weight
fly system)

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/HUA/TT/TTHandbook/rigging/singlepurchase.
html

Yes, but this isn't the point.  I understand virtually all aspects of lifts,
and I am well versed in the history and workings of the things.  But I've
never "been there", you know?  I've never stood next to the sheave while it
is set in motion.  Things like that excite me.  Being places I've never been
before excite me.  I've stood in the frickin cab for at least one minute per
day for the last 8 months, I kind of want to see what's going on above my
head.  It's just a matter of seeing things from the other side.

I'm very curious about the history of my building, I'm a huge fan of 70's
concrete architecture and I'd love to flip through a scrapbook of the
construction and so forth, but again - how do you explain to someone that
you're a 21 year old with an interest in bland, drab, unadorned 70's
architecture and common lift technology?  :-/

    Iain (who almost had a chance to be in Psyclone's nacelle but stupid
insurance forbade it)