 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6184
Re: OT: Elevator Machine Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:35:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
I think for me the apeal is more in that, I ride in the cabin every single
day but I don't know what any of the things behind the scenes look like.  I
get a big thrill out of things like that.  I understand how simple modern

I don't think that's unusual for this group.  I myself am incredibly
interested in how everything and anything works.  I have:

-Requested a detailed tour of a Maaco to see how my car would be fixed and
repainted at Chris' brother's shop.

-Asked for a thorough explanation of how they'd take out my impacted wisdom
teeth, including a visit to the Panorex and examining the defibrillator.  I
also got to read the slides from the dental textbook on how they take out
said teeth.

-Been on a tour of Bell Mobility's primary DMS-MTX CO switch and NOC at
Islington and QEW.

-Toured the ER of Mount Sinai Hospital for a process improvement analysis.

-Visited the inside of a busy Chinese restaurant kitchen to see how food is
prepared.  (No cats!  Really!)

-Got a tour of the attic of a 200 year old department store in Kingston.

-Been on plant tours of SPAR Aerospace, GM's Oshawa truck plant, CN's
locomotive shop in Aurora, and a furniture manufacturing plant in Trois
Rivieres, where they make wooden tables and chairs.

-Visited the cockpit of every plane I've been on.  (Probably not
a good idea since September 11th)

For example, a long time ago, I knew a fellow Lego fan in Ottawa named
Michel Renaud.  I used to mail him female minifigure heads for his kids in
trade for normal smileys.  They'd be torn to shreds on the mail with their
faces scratched off in the process.  Well, when the offer came up for a tour
of a Canada Post sorting facility in Halifax, I jumped at it-I wanted to
know how they sorted mail that would come to sandpapering off Lego heads.
Don't feel scared to ask!  It's natural for people to be curious.

Calum