 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6168
Re: OT: Elevator Machine Room
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 19:40:25 GMT

Has anyone ever toured or been inside a machine room (room with motor and
control equpment and such) for an elevator?

YES.

I'd really like to get to see
the machine room for the 3 elevators in the building I live in, but I'm not
sure how you "ask" about that.

you super should have keys.  its should not be that big a deal if you
have the right excuse.

How do I explain to the building manager "Um yeah, I'm like... an elevator
enthusiast..." :-/  Maybe if I said I was writing a paper for school or
something on lifts, and wanted some pictures of the hoisting equipment.

THAT is the number ONE way to get anywhere.  show up with a clip board.
(I'm serious -- ask Calum)

Maybe I'm better to pursue that elevator testing tower down near Dundas,
west of 427?

sorry, that is no longer an Otis elevator test tower.

:(

the building was sold a while ago to a bathroom fixture manufacture.

as a side note Kates friend Julie is dating an elevator installation
guy....  he told me some cool stuff.  but the neatest thing for me was
the confirmation that, that tower was mainly used by otis to train
elevator techs.

as a second side note, an elevator is a VERY SIMPLE counter weight
system as used in live theatre. (called a single purchase counter weight
fly system)

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/HUA/TT/TTHandbook/rigging/singlepurchase.html

is a side view of a theatre rigging system.

just replace the pipe above a stage with an elevator.   and instead of a
human to put the counter weight up and down, use a motor.

--
Chris

Why do solar calculators have an off button?