 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6116
Re: Pipe Racers Demo Videos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:08:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
Looks cool!

It's really quite fun--part of it is because it's in 3D vs the usual 2D
building we do (ie, wheeled/tracked floor based vehicle) and at that, you
have to work at any angle (because the pipe is 1D, but you can approach the
joint at 360 degrees).

One question: Where's the RCX? :)

This may be one of those games which don't need it.  You're familiar with
that, right? :)

I think it will be a real challenge lugging around an RCX while still being
able to traverse joints. Speaking of joints, do you think there will be any
T's, or just elbows. Getting a device to drive through a series of pipes and
elbows shouldn't be too hard since there would only be one path. But if
there are multiple paths the robot has to make decisions and somehow have
the ability to open in order to drive along the chosen route. This sounds
like it would be VERY hard.

The idea John and I were talking about for the first game would be to do
segments of 1 and 2 foot pipe with 45 deg joints.  Build two identical
courses for each round, and race them head to head.

For EXTRA fun, we connect both courses together in the middle.  Then at the
end of 2 minutes, who ever is further into the course (and onto the other
person's course) wins.  This means you need to balance:

-Pipe Speed vs Joint Speed (based on number of straight segments)
-Pipe/Joint Speed vs pushing strength/grip (once you encounter the other robot)

Originally it was my goal to have T's and Y's but for a first contest, I
think we should do just elbows so everyone gets comfortable with pipes.

Calum