 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4892
  Yes I am nuts

Thanks for asking. But anyway I was thinking about train layouts. The one thing about every train layout is that it is just a simple loop. So I was thinking maybe its possible to do something different. This may or may not be practical, but its an (...) (22 years ago, 16-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) Personally, the layout is pretty cool... what you have is two basic seperate areas. This means you could have 2 "towns" with the area in the middle as transition area.... a sort of "green space". I think the cross-overs would be somewhat (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) have a small core area with additional modules attached onto the side of those core modules. (...) The crashing of trains I'm not too concerned with, but what does worry me is that it increases the number of critical modules (ie, corners). If (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) I Have enough curved track to do aditional corners (I have 2 already, and my home layout will eventually need 4 (for a basic loop)... Also, this still allows us to do a rail yard off to the side, and we can do a series of track switches (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) (URL) uses one fewer modules, but eliminates the need for the odd one. It also leaves room on either side of the track for switchyards, etc. I'd been fiddling around with the idea of making a layout for the next event, but my plan was to make (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) can you supply a deep link for it?... I can't wait to see it... (...) I like the 'Core' idea, It allows for a more professional appearence, and It forces us to plan ahead of time, and have things built sooner. Do you still intend to use your (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) If you plan it, they will come. (at least, for sure, me!) Dave (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

Here's a link where I've pre-approved the content. Nothing naughty here! (...) Yeah, that was some of the rationale behind the idea. Unfortunately, I've waaaaay too ambitious with my layouts, and consequently we'd all have to build 4-tier (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Some figure-8 layouts (was: Re: Yes I am nuts)

So I've done a little more thinking. First, it occurs to me that this layout is sort of the minimum sized big-8 layout: (URL) requires 7 modules. It has no "inside" space It is too small to add any significant height change It has two separate (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) That's a neat idea too, however it doesn't leave much room for buildings, and it will require everyone to rebuild their modules. I was trying to remain with the standard module layout with the track to the outside. This way anyone with already (...) (22 years ago, 17-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Yes I am nuts

(...) I think that's why he said he might have to re-design it....or else it would make the layout bulge out from the center....which we probably don't have the space or the tables for. (...) This sounds like fun....I might just have to re-build (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Some figure-8 layouts (was: Re: Yes I am nuts)

(...) I have one module and two half modules. As I've mentioned before, my apartment is very small so I don't have enough room to store modules. However I do have the capacity to build for more then just two full modules if needed. I'd just need (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)