 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4906
4905  |  4907
Subject:
Some figure-8 layouts (was: Re: Yes I am nuts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:02:46 GMT

So I've done a little more thinking.

First, it occurs to me that this layout is sort of the minimum sized
big-8 layout:

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/big8_minimum.gif

Features:
It requires 7 modules.
It has no "inside" space
It is too small to add any significant height change
It has two separate loops which criss cross, posing collision risk.
It's so small that a moderately long train will collide with itself.
Long cars will require inside-curve clearances that will prevent
placing buildings on the outsides of the small loops.

But I've noticed that from this basis, we can add pairs of straight-only
modules to extand indefinitely:

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/big8_9seg.gif

These all share the two-loop feature, but give more elbow room.  If we
go up to 11 modules, we can get an "inside" space in one of the loops.

We can also add rail yards:

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/big8_9seg_yard.gif

Or whatever fanciness we like.

However, I'm a fan of complexity (heh!) and I like two things in my
layouts:
* Different track levels, crossing if possible
* Switches which permit interesting topology

So a question which arises is:  How many core modules can we count on?
I'd like to make a more complex deisgn, but I need to know the limits.
I personally have 3 & 2/2 modules (three and two half).

Oh - and as an aside, one approach I've been thinking about is to
"boost" some of the modules.  By this, I mean that we could place brick
support under a module to lift it to some distance above the basis,
which would mean a lot less work for mountain-builders - they might, for
instance, start 6 or 8 bricks above "normal" and only have to build up
another 8 or so.

I'm working on an 8-module core which sports a figure 8 with a hi/lo
crossover (instead of level crossing) and a bewildering array of
half-loops to choose from.  You can keep 2 or maybe 2 trains going at
once, but you'd have to stay awake at the switch.

There might even be room for some trees or buildings.

Jeff E