 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4907
Re: Some figure-8 layouts (was: Re: Yes I am nuts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:49:36 GMT

Jeff Elliott wrote:

So a question which arises is:  How many core modules can we count on?
I'd like to make a more complex design, but I need to know the limits.
I personally have 3 & 2/2 modules (three and two half).

I have one module and two half modules.  As I've mentioned before, my
apartment is very small so I don't have enough room to store modules.
However I do have the capacity to build for more then just two full
modules if needed.  I'd just need someone else to provide the modules
themselves.

The other problem I have is the logistics of moving my modules.  Last
time I was barely able to get my two modules into my car.

So although I can build for more then two modules, I can't store, or
transport more then two modules.

Oh - and as an aside, one approach I've been thinking about is to
"boost" some of the modules.  By this, I mean that we could place brick
support under a module to lift it to some distance above the basis,
which would mean a lot less work for mountain-builders - they might, for
instance, start 6 or 8 bricks above "normal" and only have to build up
another 8 or so.

Well I've been thinking of adding adjustable legs to my modules so they
can be free standing.  If we did this we could have all sorts of
topology.  This would also start us on the way to being able to do a
more public display.  Like a train show our outside Bricks and Blocks.

I'm working on an 8-module core which sports a figure 8 with a hi/lo
crossover (instead of level crossing) and a bewildering array of
half-loops to choose from.  You can keep 2 or maybe 2 trains going at
once, but you'd have to stay awake at the switch.

I would love to do a hi/lo cross over.  Part of the reason I brought up
the figure 8 design was with the faint hope that we could do a hi/lo
cross over.  It just looks so cool when one train is passing over
another train.

Derek