 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 410
IMPORTANT: June Event Proposals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:14:13 GMT

Hi folks,

Well, we've heard a lot of great ideas, but it's really going to have to
come down to a single contest for the June rtlToronto8 unless someone steps
up to run an entire contest by themselves (ie, they do the scheduling,
organization, actual run of the event, getting hardware, blocks for the one
extra event, blockstacking)

Here's what I want everyone to do before Friday:

a)  Email me if Saturday June 2nd, 2001, or Saturday June 9th is good for
you.  Think ahead, check your calendar, etc, clear of exams, job interviews,
vacations etc.  Maybe you can attend only one date, or both.

b)  If you have an idea for the rtlToronto 8 event, write a full explanation
of how the event will work.  Post it here.  Not just an idea, but a fully
fleshed out game.  Include:

-Scoring, special equipment required (ie, playfield modifications like
painting, sawing etc), items required by contestants (blocks, marbles, filament)

Consider the following two points:

-Every rtlToronto event has always included head to head competition.  This
is because it's no fun if you can play a game by yourself at home.

-Whatever you suggest, it has to be made of something everyone can have.
This means no ultraexotic items (like an PIC driven LED message transmitter)
or even relatively simple items like uniform opaque marbles.  If it can be
built of Lego (like the infamous "blockstacking" blocks) all the better.

There are already a few options that are pretty well examined:

-Rerun Blockstacking (run in rtlTornto7)
-Maxwell's Demons (run in Seattle)
-Retrieving items from across a barrier diving the playfield

But there's a lot of ideas that have just come up, so develop them out.

At the end of the week, we'll do some voting as to what to do for the next
shindig.

Calum

Calum