 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 413
Re: IMPORTANT: June Event Proposals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:05:23 GMT

Calum

Again, suggested earlier:

RCX goes to the Dragstrip!!!

Have a 4 - 6 foot track on the floor.  Competing 'bots start from the start
line and go as fast as they can.  Once they cross the finish line, they must
stop within an allotted space.

Setup:  Start line, 4 - 6 feet of 'blank' space, then different colour after
finish line so light sensor will detect change for braking.

Scoring:  Any 'bot that goes too far, as in beyond the braking space, is
disqualified.  Other than that, the 'bot that crosses the finish line first
is the winner (just like the old kub kar races we had when we were in boyscouts)

This would make the competition fast and entertaining, and the races could
be set up quickly.

As well, those with multiple RCX's could enter more than 1 race'bot. (I know
if we go this way, I'll be entering 3, maybe 4 (if I can use the Robotics
Discovery set brain ;) ))

Moreover, we could set this up this on the floor in the foyer very
easily--use electircal tape to 'map' the track, and tape down construction
paper after the finish line for the 'braking space'.

This competition could be modified so that the race'bot has to follow a line
as quickly as possible and stop at a designated area.  The line the 'bot
follows will have to be a different colour than the finish line.

Dave