 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3877
Re: robot building....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 01:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I finally got off my lazy back-side and finally got my hands "dirty" with
my mindstorm collection... :)

I put together a simple design for rtl 10.1 (assuming it is next weekend).
Are the prospective "testers" going to get private e-mails???  I will probably
get my 2nd "player".... (identical twins, I guess) built by Friday.  I have
the basic chasis design for it.... just need to work on it to match my fist one.

I may have a problem implementing the code for it....since I am too new to the
programming scene.  Robots must be no larger than 8 inches square, right?
Because the total length of 'bot is just under the 8 inch mark.

I will bring my "team" entry at the testing.  At the "event" I will be open
to suggestions for improvement, but being my first "foray" into robots, I
don't expect it to be as high of calibre as some of the other "regular robot
builders..."

Ben

who in tradition of rtl, won't post any pics of my robot design until 10.1
(soccer pack???) is over.

pretend...I don't need to pretend to build a robot...I already did!! :)

just replying to my own post since no one else did....

built and finished the "twin"... now I have my "team"... I'm probably going
to call them team "BUZY B"...

so is there going to be anything "official" or is there going to be e-mails
posted out to potential players...???

Is the preview/test game going to be in place of a monthly dinner???

And why the sudden interest in debating fairly non interesting topic like
lubrication....the very topic makes me think of things that aren't really
appropriate on Lugnet...but I won't go into that... :)

however, I do see the point on both sides of the issue.... Calum vs Chris,
Iain, and perhaps Matthias??...

a rule is a rule, and it is up to all of us to build around the issue....
let's really be honest, I hardly doubt that vaseline is really going to help
Chris out from doing silly things with his Technic pieces....that's just the
way he is... (sorry Chris) :)

would a little lube help prevent some of the higher friction gears from
breaking off at the end???  probably... (I'll take your word(s) on it).
But look at Calum's (possibly anal retentive stance): if he lets lubricants,
then we have to define certain uses for it to make it a level playing field,
if that what the "spirit" of the competition calls for....

Ben