 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 382
Re: Thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 04:30:02 GMT

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:05:35 GMT, Chris Magno <cmagno@home.com> wrote:

this morning while dwelling on something Bruce S said, it would be nice
if we could come up with a game that involved Cartesian type robots.
But i cant think of anything.  Bruce explained that any game that meets
the criteria of needing both robots to be in the same ring, to play will
always need to be mobile, thus: A C steering and 1 output for......

Here's a half-a-thought:

Start with a building say 5 rooms wide by 5 floors tall and
two rooms wide all built out of Lego. Each room is large enough for a
pingpong or golf ball. The building is built to a pre-established size
that is known to all contestants and there are known attachment points
for attaching a contestant's robot. The competing robots are attached
to opposite sides of the building. At the start of the competition, a
ball is placed mid way between the left and right rooms in each room
on each floor (ie. 25 balls). The objective can either be:

A) Start punching balls, one at a time, out the opponent's window. The
player who clears the most balls when all the balls are gone wins.

B) Start pushing balls, one at a time, into the opponents rooms
without pushing them out. The player who pushes 66% of the balls into
the opponent's side of the building wins. Note that this version
allows for balls that have been pushed into your side of the building
to be pushed back. This would require some method of sensing if a room
contains a ball so that time is not wasted pushing empty spaces.

This, and a variation of "Connect 4" are the first things that come to
mind when I think of cartesian style games.

Hey, even if these ideas are only half-baked, I think I still deserve
points for being the first to toss out an idea.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ
Victoria Park & Eglinton