 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13274
Re: Laser Leveled tramways... well, not really
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:23:38 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote:

  OK, here's another idea (as the GBC invades yet again). How about
putting the
SMART crate-carrying gantry crane "on the ropes"? I originally got the
idea from
building a very simple cablecar (that only needs one motor and one light
sensor... and a stiff cable, which ends up being the biggest problem).
Adding a
claw that can snag a crate and lift it it the next step. It could grab
crates
from a special train, transport them somewhere else over the layout, place
them
down again, etc.

  I've got a GBC module right now that's a forklift - it will manipulate
the
standard SMART crate, but can pickup or place them at any level, so I can
use it
to load flatbed trucks or traincars (currently, it just picks up full
crates,
pushes/slide empty crates into position, and dumps crates using a rotating
cradle - not as slick as the Gus version I fear, but I'm rather happy with
it.
The only downside is it has trouble with the 1 bps standard over anything
over a
short distance).

I am so lost.  The rtlToronto layout has crates moving around little LEGO
models of smarts?!!?  When did this come about??

    Iain