 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13273
Re: Laser Leveled tramways... well, not really
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:55:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:

My newfound fetish for ropeway technology though
has me thinking.

   OK, here's another idea (as the GBC invades yet again). How about putting the
SMART crate-carrying gantry crane "on the ropes"? I originally got the idea from
building a very simple cablecar (that only needs one motor and one light
sensor... and a stiff cable, which ends up being the biggest problem). Adding a
claw that can snag a crate and lift it it the next step. It could grab crates
from a special train, transport them somewhere else over the layout, place them
down again, etc.
   I've got a GBC module right now that's a forklift - it will manipulate the
standard SMART crate, but can pickup or place them at any level, so I can use it
to load flatbed trucks or traincars (currently, it just picks up full crates,
pushes/slide empty crates into position, and dumps crates using a rotating
cradle - not as slick as the Gus version I fear, but I'm rather happy with it.
The only downside is it has trouble with the 1 bps standard over anything over a
short distance).

--
Brian Davis