 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13272
Re: Laser Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:55:13 GMT

This post is um. not really tied directly to anything Derek said.  But I didn't
want to start another thread just for it.

I haven't helped out at a train show in a long time, and I've always really
enjoyed the ones that I did make it to.  My biggest excuse might be that I don't
know how to build nice looking trains!  Or that I don't have the pieces.

My newfound fetish for ropeway technology though has me thinking.  I don't know
what your layout looks like, or if there is even room.  But, if you were open to
the idea...

I would love to offer to build a pulsed-movement areal ropeway.  Going between
two terminals, they could be at the same level, say, two metres apart, or at
different elevations.  In real life this kind of application might be at a
world's fair or something like that.  They don't always just take skiiers to the
top of hills.

Pulsed is nice because you get a train of cars riding on a support rope, hauled
by a secondary rope.  The train of cars "pulse", because they stop and start
intermitently (instead of operating continuously, as a typical gondola or
chairlift would).  This eliminates the need for detachable grips (difficult if
not impossible in LEGO) but keeps things looking interesting.

You can find photographs of pulsed ropeways here:

http://www.seilbahntechnik.net/lifte/Ort/gruppenbahn/list.php

Gruppenbahn.  Heh :)

I've got some cabin designs I've been throwing around.  My biggest fear is that
I wouldn't be able to produce something nice looking, and it would look GAUDY.
I would not be offended in the least if I came up with something and you all
said "Oh, my god, that looks like afterbirth." and didn't want it on the layout.

More:

http://www.doppelmayr.com/default.asp?lid=2&frs=210

-Iain