 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12270
Re: rtlToronto18 Draft Ruleset Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:13:51 GMT

Sorry, I hate to keep beating this horse, but...

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In the "scoring" section, did you want to impose a penlty for "wrong" color
blocks at home?  And, do the blocks HAVE to be in a tower?  Currently, the line
says:
"Location: One point for each block of a tower in the robot's starting square
area"

Well, what I read from everyone here was that we shouldn't impose a penalty for
NOT sorting, but only to give a bonus to those who did.  Similarly, in spirit to
not make a player feel they need to sort AND home.  So not penalizing wrong
colours at home keeps location and sorting separate from each other.

having a -1 for wrong blocks and +1 for right blocks should (in average) result
in a value of zero for people who don't sort.  So, there is no color bonus for
blocks AT HOME, unless they are sorted.

I should clarify that no points are given for a single block of correct colour
in the starting square.

So, people are required to stack?

With the second,
there is actually an advantage to sorting the blocks you take home.

Well, with the emphasis on making towers Derek and DaveK mentioned, points
shouldn't be awarded for merely pushing blocks into the home square.  You do
need to stack them.

The scoring does put emphasis on stacking.  But, if you just want to sort them,
and push them to your home square (unstacked) you get more points for sorting
better.  (that's a good entry level challenge)

Also, is 30 blocks enough?  Is that 15 black & 15 white?