 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12268
Re: rtlToronto18 Draft Ruleset Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Greg Hyland wrote:
Why is it called "rtlToronto18"? Obviously because one plus eight is nine and
it's the fiftheenth contest in six years (or was that the sixth contest in
fifteen years?) and fifteen minus six is also nine, and if you take those two
nines and add them together, you get eighteen, so therefore it's rtlToronto18.
Well, duh.

Yeah, okay, it's confusing.  Blame Chris. (for no reason)

rtlToronto3 was the first robotics contest.  18-3 is 15.  That's all.

While the concept is solid, I think the math is lacking.  With the above
numbers, rtl3 would be the 3-3= 0st robotics contest.  :)  It looks like rtl4
was the first.

Ignoring all that my suggestion would be to remove the whole "fifteenth contest
in six years" and replace it with something like "rtl has been running contests
sense 1998"

People will ass-u-me rtl18 is the 18th such event, and (counting "live" events)
they will be pretty close.  And, it means for rtl19, there won't be as many
changes required in the cut-n-paste process.

In the "scoring" section, did you want to impose a penlty for "wrong" color
blocks at home?  And, do the blocks HAVE to be in a tower?  Currently, the line
says:
"Location: One point for each block of a tower in the robot's starting square
area"

Another idea was:
"+1 for each correct block in home, -1 for each wrong block in home"

With the current rule, if you go get ALL the blocks, you will get as many points
as possible, without stacking and it doesn't require sorting.  With the second,
there is actually an advantage to sorting the blocks you take home.

Steve