 Organizations / 364
Re: Display your LUG's logo on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 23:17:50 GMT

In lugnet.org, Domenico Franco writes:
Please, let me konw if you intend to change background color of the frame
where the logo is placed: to simulate transparency, I used "#fff8e0".

I would recommend assuming that the background is pure white (e.g., #FFFFFF)
rather than the yellow that's used along the left (e.g., #FFF8E0), for a
couple of reasons...

The first reason is that #FFF8E0 displays differently on different monitor
setups and isn't guaranteed to match.  On most 8-bit systems, it will snap
to the color #FFFFCC, which is a bright canary yellow or sometimes a kind of
cream color, depending on the OS and its handling of color palettes.  On a
16-bit system, it will come out approximiately but not necessarily exactly
#FFF8E0 (a bit oranger and a bit more mild).  On a 24-bit system, it should
come out exactly #FFF8E0.

The second reason is that the light yellow is close enough to white that
assuming white when it's really yellow looks OK, whereas the opposite looks
strange.  In other words, if a yellow background is assumed, and it's
displayed against a white background, then the yellow stands out around the
fringes.  Conversely, if a white background is assumed, and it's displayed
against a light yellow background, then the white tends to blend in rather
than stand out.  Here's an example:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/media/sw/construct/

(Download the image on that page and zoom in and you can see the white
anti-aliasing.)

To make a long story short, assuming a white background (rather than yellow)
allows for the most flexibility.

--Todd