 Organizations / 361
Re: Display your LUG's logo on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 05:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.org, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
IANAL...

The fact that it's LUGNET(tm), currently the premier fan site, doesn't make
it official. See http://news.lugnet.com/ and read the text at the bottom.

I would say that TLC would care more about it here than just about anywhere
because the people that run LUGNET are thought leaders and ought to know
better.

*IF* TLC approves (maybe they did!), then there ought to be a special
disclaimer on any page that uses it.

++Lar

First of all, this sub-thread does not belong where it is.

Feel free to redirect it, then. You know how to set followups, and your
standing as (whatever role it is you play here, I never did figure it out,
it's not documented very clearly) would certainly encourage everyone else to
stick to that setting. I'm fairly happy with it here, though I could be wrong.

Lego has said that they didn't want people using their logo without
permission. Josh and Dan seem to be asking whether the fact that you seem to
have gotten a waiver for that means all orgs get one too. That seems .org
related to me. That's a lot of seems so I freely admit any one of them could
come unsewn and unravel that argument.

Secondly, let me assure you that Todd and I can take care of ourselves.

Do so, then. I would sugggest that a good place to start would be by
addressing the conclusion that was drawn (correctly or incorrectly, how
would I know? You didn't explain your reasoning. I bet it's solid but who
knows?) in the post I was responding to.

Thirdly, Todd and  I have a policy of only seeking consultation
from legitimate legal professionals.

Seek it, then. The advice to seek it out, freely offered, is offered because
I care. Consider it in the spirit the first advice was offered rather than
getting defensive.

Lastly, imagining a worst case scenario in the flavor of your comments above,
service to users of LUGNET would remain unaffected

In the worst worst-case scenario I could imagine (not very likely so don't
anyone panic) that statement turns out to have an inoperative truth value.

-- making this issue
irrelevant to you.

You're not necessarily in a position to judge what's relevant to me and what
isn't. But again, I brought it up because I care. Feel free to bite my hand
off again in response, if it will make you feel better. I'm a big boy and I
can take a little questioning of motive, intent, knowledge, experience etc.
without too much strain.

Or just ignore this post. Maybe the problem, if there is one, will go away
if you ignore it.

But if you're a bystander to this I would strongly suggest that you not use
the LEGO(r) logo or any of the major theme or system logos on your website
without specific permission from TLC. This especially applies to LUGs and
other sorts of orgs that someday may want something from TLC.

Do your own research, and do what you think best, of course, IANAL. But I'd
play a better one on TV than some people.

++Lar