 Off-Topic / Geek / 663
Re: One of the Mindfest pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 02:10:28 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
bishop <bishopNOSPAM@roundcircle.com> wrote:
We have had excellent results with Sony Mavica FD-83's at • school.
They are floppy based, but can also take short mpeg movies with sound.
Even people who have never used one before have been very pleased
with how easy they are to use.

Yeah, they are convenient, but the last time I looked at a Mavica,
right after they moved up to 1024, I think you could only get 1
uncompressed picture per disk.  I shudder at the thought of carrying
around a trunkload full of floppies, and then depending on all of
those floppies to read properly.  :)

I was a real strong believer in uncompressed (I'm allergic to jpeg
compression).
But I have to say, after playing a little with them (and the D700), I can
tolerate
the image quality they output at their "best" level of compression.
i.e. least compression, highest quality.   ymmv

Of course I prefer my dept's Sony DSC-D700, now there is a sweet camera,
(as long as someone else is footing the bill).  Slap in a 64mb • compactflash,
and shoot all afternoon.  Or if you are alergic to jpeg artifacts, shoot
about 15
shots uncompressed.  Very highly recommended. Almost like using a 35mm • slr.

I've heard good things about it, but I'm hoping for a solution that
will allow me to take hundreds, if not thousands of pictures while
we're in Italy and Greece next summer.  Seems like it's either
Superdisk or find a Libretto to carry along with me...

When I searched for the camera you mentioned, I came across a page
talking about 192mb and 640mb compactflash units. (no mention of price
of course).  Slap one of those 640mb puppies in the D700... drool.
As far as that goes, you could carry a pocket full of the 64mb chips.
(come on Mike, buy one, buy several) No I don't work for Sony or Sandisk,
why do you ask?   :?)

Does the Libretto have a PCMCIA slot?  The D700 has a PCMCIA slot and
an adapter to translate the form factor of the compactflash chip to PCMCIA.
(It also has a proprietary SONY memory stick slot.  I don't think I even
bothered
to check to see if the 8mb stick that came with the camera worked).
When I need to take lots of pics (away from school) I just take the laptop
with
me. (fill the chip, swap in the chip from my dc120 and slip the "exposed"
one
into the laptop. lather... rinse... repeat...)

:?) bishop