 Off-Topic / Geek / 662
661  |  663
Subject:
Engine Speed Regulation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:43:52 GMT

Here are some of the questions that have been nagging me since I was a kid.

How does the press of the throttle affect the RPM and the torque of the engine?

By looking at the R/C model engines, it seems to me that the throttle controls
the amount of air injected into the carburetor. Is the amount of the fuel
injected into the carburetor also affected by the throttle? Is the proportion
of air and fuel in the mixture affected?

In the model engines, you can adjust the proportion of air and fuel in the
mixture through a needle. Somehow, reducing the proportion of the fuel (hence
increasing the proportion of the air) results to the increase of RPM. Why?

And a related question: How do you control the speed of a steam locomotive?

Cheers,
Hao-yang