 Publishing / 1117
Re: JPEG compression (was: Re: One of the Mindfest pics)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:24:25 GMT

You guys may want to check out:

http://www.jpeg.org/public/jpeglinks.htm
and
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/

Mike
-----
Mike Faunce
mike at faunce dot com

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote in message news:FKCHo6.E30@lugnet.com...
Do the cameras offer PNG, which can do 24 bit lossless compression?

KL

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Phillip Ogden writes:
I was a real strong believer in uncompressed (I'm allergic to jpeg
compression).  But I have to say, after playing a little with them (and • the
D700), I can tolerate the image quality they output at their "best" • level
of compression.  i.e. least compression, highest quality.   ymmv

Speaking of JPEG compression, here's a comparison of JPEG (lossy) vs. • TIFF
(non-lossy) for three images:

  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/tiff-vs-jpeg/cat.html
  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/tiff-vs-jpeg/wing.html
  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/tiff-vs-jpeg/454.html

Note:  the last of the three pages contains several megabytes of inline
images.

--Todd