 Off-Topic / Geek / 655
Re: One of the Mindfest pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:01:19 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
So are you dual-booting to NT to use Photoshop or to Linux to use
The Gimp?

I'm dual-booting to Win95 (haven't gotten around to bothering with NT, and
don't want to give MS any more of my money) to use Photoshop. The GIMP is
decent, but it's not there yet in power, features, or ease of use. I hope it
will be someday, but until then....

Ah, I see.  Well, I gave MS my $40 for NT a long time ago (friend
was an employee then) so I forget that most people don't have it
laying around.

You can put together a second machine for next to nothing.  I know,

Well actually, this wouldn't be a second machine, it'd be a fourth. One
Toshiba Libretto, one dual pentium pro desktop, and one old pentium box
running as a gateway. And I've already used most of my spare parts, so I'd
really be starting from scratch. The real problem though is that our
apartment is very tiny and there's not really room for another system. So
I'll just have to wait, and gripe. :)

Those Libretto's are cool.  I wish I could have taken the one from
my old office to my new office here at UT.  I'm hoping a friend will
have something like that I can borrow for our trip to Europe next
year so I can copy digicam pics over to it.  If not, I hope the
Panasonic digicam that's supposed to come out using the Superdisk is
good enough for my purposes.

Wow, running out of spare parts.  I don't know if I ever will,
especially since I've called a moratorium on all donations to family
and friends unless it's an emergency.  I used to let all my used
stuff trickle down.  Then one year I had to build a completely new
PC from scratch, no spares.  Yuck.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/