 Off-Topic / Geek / 4965 (-20)
  Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

(...) Some more Googling yielded this: -*-*-*- One thing you do not want to do is click on any of those fake popup "notices" about "spyware found on your computer" You may have the Windows Messenger service which apparently is where you are (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

(...) Another reason to avoid IE whenever possible. (Disclaimer: the following info was given to me by an IT pro friend of mine, he's smarter at this stuff than me, that's why I listened to him. Why? Because he can hack, and occassionaly, does) (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

I forgot to mention that the pop-ups occur even when I'm not online. Dave "Mark" <snowleopard@foxinternet.net> wrote in message news:IBqCty.MwB@lugnet.com... (...) woes. I (...) free, (...) windows, (...) does (...) reccomended. (...) have no clue (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

(...) Such is the invariable burden of a network connected Windows machine. Unfortunately, the only "fix" (I put that term in quotes deliberately) is to stay up to date with Microsoft's patches to the OS. The version of IE that comes with XP SP2 (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

Using a good, non-microsoft web browser will help a great many of these woes. I personally like (URL) Firefox>. It's free, installs in seconds, MUCH faster than some other browsers, has tabbed windows, built in protective measures. Yeah. Just try (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

(...) A brief Google search yielded this: (URL) last post seems to blame Messenger which appears to be the cause of the above problem. -Orion (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

(...) Hey, I've been having a similar problem! All the popups come if I open MSN messenger, or IE. They also take me to some *&%#@& 'Kita-search.com' 'here4search.com' 'win-eto.com' and some more. I've run Norton, but even after it wipes everything (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP

Hey y'all, I'm hoping one of you super cyberpunks can help me out here. In the last few months I've been getting these pop-ups stating that my registry or something else may be infected, corrupted, etc. They want me to type in the web address (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: perl question

(...) You can try this: od -c scriptfile.pl and look for \r chars (in addition to the usual \n chars) to see if that's the problem. (20 years ago, 4-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  perl question

Pointers to where to look in the perl docs or Faq on cpan.org gladly taken. I have a perlscript I want to run on both wintel and linux, and I want to invoke it from an outer script. (.bat on wintel and some shell script, sh, ksh, bash or csh on (...) (20 years ago, 3-Feb-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Junction, Petticoat Junction!

(...) Remember also that in "Teahouse of the August Moon"(1)(2) Eddie Albert plays the investigator sent out by the army to see what sort of problems Glenn Ford is having... rather than turn him in for not getting the school built, he gets all (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

(...) Orion: In my quest for 3D cross platform independence, I decided to give GLUT a try. GLUT is a cross-platform window toolkit that Mark J. KilGard (who was at SGI at the time) wrote to demonstrate OpenGL programming. It is supposed to run on (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

(...) When I decided to use QT for the Linux version of LDView, I already had a Windows native version, and absolutely no plans of moving the Windows version to a cross-platform toolkit. Consequently, while I also felt that having the Windows (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

(...) The look and feel is one of the reasons why I rejected GTK (...) To me, compile times are a non issue. However the non-free nature of Qt leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and I not even a Open Source zealot). I can however develop a Qt based (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: CSS Problem, looking for ideas.

"Rob Antonishen" <rob.antonishen@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:IAMK2z.KpL@lugnet.com... (...) and (...) inner (...) not (...) to (...) (URL) ie> and (URL) firefix> (...) and (...) I had some time last week when I was traveling to work on this (...) (20 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

Personally I don't think using GTK under Windows is a good idea. I've worked with it before and even released an application that used it and you won't believe the amount of people that have trouble using a Windows application with controls that (...) (20 years ago, 24-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Cross platform GUI

(...) 100% behind you on your rant. I refuse to use Qt for any development because of their licensing policy on it (even though I'm on Linux and wouldn't have to pay to use it). Trolltech's licensing policy reeks of being nothing other than a feeble (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jan-05, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  (canceled)

  Cross platform GUI

Well I'm kind of of pissed. ** begin rant ** Curious to find an acceptible substitute for Java, I was looking into cross platform GUI toolkits. GTK+ came to mind but alas no Mac support for the latest version. Then I thought of Qt. I visited the Qt (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-05, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: CSS Problem, looking for ideas.

(...) FWIW- I have grabbed snaps in (URL) and (URL) firefix> I see differences in the table title, and the displaying of parts 445, 446 and 2875 around the xref box. -Rob A> (20 years ago, 20-Jan-05, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact