 Off-Topic / Geek / 4958
4957  |  4959
Subject:
Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:54:10 GMT

Hey y'all,

I'm hoping one of you super cyberpunks can help me out here.  In the last
few months I've been getting these pop-ups stating that my registry or
something else may be infected, corrupted, etc.  They want me to type in the
web address (fix-comp.com, updatepatch.info, errofixer.com, win-fix.com,
updatenow.org to name a few!) to fix the problem.  Of course, I've never
done this because there is no problem but the pop-ups are really starting to
annoy me.  I've not downloaded any patches for WinXP because I've heard that
the patch makes things run worse.

I've run Spybot and Ad-Aware and have Norton running always along with
BlackICE as my firewall.  Obviously, these programs aren't enough and I'd
love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!