 Off-Topic / Geek / 4965
Re: Need help with annoying pop-ups in WinXP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 05:08:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Simmons wrote:
I forgot to mention that the pop-ups occur even when I'm not online.

Dave

"Mark" <snowleopard@foxinternet.net> wrote in message
Using a good, non-microsoft web browser will help a great many of these woes.  I
personally like <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ Firefox>.  It's free,
installs in seconds, MUCH faster than some other browsers, has tabbed windows,
built in protective measures.  Yeah.  Just try it.  The mozilla crowd that does
Firefox also does Thunderbird, the associated email client.  Also reccomended.

Why do I reccomend all this?  Because I gave up my spy bot [AND] I still
have no clue what you are talking about with annoying pop-ups.  Every now
and again I check for spy-ware on my other machine (also on Firefox).
Funny thing is I don't find much.

Mark Neumann

Some more Googling yielded this:
-*-*-*-
One thing you do not want to do is click on any of those fake popup "notices"
about "spyware found on your computer"

You may have the Windows Messenger service which apparently is where you are
vulnerable, it can be turned off/disabled: If the pop up ads say "Messenger
Service" do this:

Windows XP Home

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

Windows XP Professional

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK
-*-*-*-

I hope this helps

-Orion