 Off-Topic / Geek / 4954
Re: Cross platform GUI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Well I'm kind of of pissed.

** begin rant **

Curious to find an acceptible substitute for Java, I was looking into cross
platform GUI toolkits.  GTK+ came to mind but alas no Mac support for the latest
version.  Then I thought of Qt.  I visited the Qt website, read over their
overview and got excited.  Finally I found what I wanted so I clicked the
download link and was whisk to the download page only to discover that the
Windows version of the toolkit is not available under a open source licence but
the X11 and Mac OS X versions are.  They list no justification for this anywhere
on their website.  I suspect this this is open source snobbery at it's finest:
"let's punish the Windows users by making them pay $1000+ to develop using our
produst but give the Linux users a free ride"

** end rant **

Luckly I just ordered a Mac mini so I'll be able to try my hand but I still
won't be able to compile anything I create on Windows unless I'm willing to fork
over some cash (which I am not).

FUT to o-t.geek

-Orion

Orion:

In my quest for 3D cross platform
independence, I decided to give GLUT a try.
GLUT is a cross-platform window toolkit that
Mark J. KilGard (who was at SGI at the time)
wrote to demonstrate OpenGL programming.
It is supposed to run on Unix/Linux,  Windows,
and MacOS.  I have successfully run it on Linux
and Windows; my lack of a Mac has precluded
being able to see whether it also runs on MacOS.
GLUT is reasonably well documented in his book
"OpenGL Programming for the X Window System".
There is a general lack of GUI widgets for GLUT
in Mark's book, but I did run across the GLUI
widget set for GLUT written by Paul Radeacher
in C++.  Paul's C++ code is a bit crufty (my
opinion) but it actually works.

I don't track lugnet.off-topic.geek, so if you want
more information, please contact me off-list
(or keep it on lugnet.cad.dev which I do read).
My off-list E-mail list is:

  Wayne -at- Gramlich DOT Net.

-Wayne