 Off-Topic / Geek / 4955
Re: Junction, Petticoat Junction!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:41:09 GMT

In lugnet.town, James Wilson wrote:
In lugnet.town, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
You know that Green Acres and Petticoat Junction are related, right? They are
both set in or near Hooterville and featured some of the same characters. I
think GA was the spin off. It took a much more bizarre turn though...

Larry,
You got me thinking - I always thought Green Acres came first, but then I found
http://www.poobala.com/hooterville.html - a great page that details the
"Hooterville Trilogy" (take that George Lucas!):
   The Beverly Hillbillies (1962-1971)
   Petticoat Junction (1963-1970)
   Green Acres (1965-1971)

PJ spun off from Beverly Hillbillies, and GA spun off from GA.  GA completes the
"circle" - BH was hillbillies in the city, GA was city folk out in the sticks.

I never knew ANY of these shows ran as long as they did.  And I had forgotten
Hank Haney, one of Mr. Douglas' nemesises, and the modern-day equivalent of the
character Eddie Albert played in the movie version of "Oklahoma!"

Remember also that in "Teahouse of the August Moon"(1)(2) Eddie Albert plays the
investigator sent out by the army to see what sort of problems Glenn Ford is
having... rather than turn him in for not getting the school built, he gets all
involved in helping determine what sort of agriculture the village should take
on ordering seedstock to get things rolling, and digging irrigation ditches and
doing hydroponic growing.

Sort of prophetic if you ask me! Eddie must just like ag...

1 - which also features Marlon Brando as "Sakini", an Okinawan!!!  "Socks up,
boss!"
2 -
http://imdb.com/title/tt0049830/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9bGl0dGxlIHRlYWhvdXNlIG9mIHRoZSBBdWd1c3QgTW9vbnxodG1sPTF8bm09b24_;fc=1;ft=6;fm=1