 Off-Topic / Geek / 4956
4955  |  4957
Subject:
perl question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:41:43 GMT

Pointers to where to look in the perl docs or Faq on cpan.org gladly taken.

I have a perlscript I want to run on both wintel and linux, and I want to invoke
it from an outer script.  (.bat on wintel and some shell script, sh, ksh, bash
or csh on linux)

It takes parms which I am accessing from @ARGV.  (via shift to be exact) On
Linux I am having trouble with a trailing char being tacked on to the last parm.
I got around it by tacking an extra bogus parm on the end so that one is crud
but I'd rather process it cleanly.

I tried chomp but that's not cleaning it off. This linux box has some bogus vi
(vim?) on it that's trying to be helpful and hide chars like ^M from me so I
can't quite tell if the shell script itself has some junk or not at the end.

I am running under bash but my shellscript could theoretically run under
different shells... I tried #!/bin/ksh and #!/bin/sh but that didn't seem to
make a difference.

Perl on wintel is working fine. It's v 5.6.0 and the linux box is v5.6.1

PRETTY sure I ftped everything over in ascii so not sure where these trailing
chars are coming from, hence my suspicion that it's something else I did wrong
or some diff I didn't account for.