 Off-Topic / Geek / 4952
Re: Cross platform GUI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:29:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide wrote:
   Personally I don't think using GTK under Windows is a good idea. I've
worked with it before and even released an application that used it and
you won't believe the amount of people that have trouble using a Windows
application with controls that don't look like the native ones.

The look and feel is one of the reasons why I rejected GTK

   IMO Qt looks better under both Windows and Linux (it uses the native
Windows widgets) but it adds an extra pre processor step that makes your
compile times unacceptable. It's been a while since I last tried it so
things could be better now.

To me, compile times are a non issue.  However the non-free nature of Qt leaves
a bad taste in my mouth (and I not even a Open Source zealot).  I can however
develop a Qt based program on my Mac (when I get it form Apple) and then find
someone to compile a Windows binary for me if I want.

   I've heard good things about wxwidgets but never tried it myself,
maybe it's worth taking a look.

I had a look at their website and this looks promising.  Thanks for the tip.

-Orion