 Off-Topic / Geek / 4675 (-20)
  Re: Appleseed 4/17/2004

(...) I'm not really the biggest otaku on Lugnet, just the most vocal, I suspect. Domo arigatou! (...) Agreed. I'm still not sure what category this falls into. Maybe if they'd stop cutting away every time I try to focus :). (...) Yeah, that's what (...) (20 years ago, 30-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Appleseed 4/17/2004

(...) LUGNET's biggest Otaku (1) has spoken, and he's on MY side! ;-p (...) Of course, there are always exceptions. I welcome CG when it used for segments in anime that benefit from it, and/or that would look silly if they were drawn by hand. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 30-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Appleseed 4/17/2004

Okay, my $.02... Mladen: Agree, CG+anime=ugh, 99% of the time. See Blue Submarine No.6 or Vandread for good examples. On the other hand, there are anime like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell that use CG very well. Jason: I think what Mladen's (...) (20 years ago, 30-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Dumb question, in all probability

(...) Oops--I meant 2.81% Dave! (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Dumb question, in all probability

(...) Ah! Now I get it, I think. So if the question is "What are the chances of drawing all white?" then the answer is 0.028142247%, but if the question is (as I stated it) "What are the chances of drawing all one color?" then the all-white chance (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Dumb question, in all probability

(...) Because out of all the possible outcomes (which together must sum to 1.0000, by definition) those are the two outcomes that match your description (all one color)... none of the other outcomes (BBBBW, BBBWB, BBBWW, etc etc etc ... keep (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Dumb question, in all probability

(...) I was on the right track until this step. Why are the BBBBB and WWWWW results added together? (...) Thanks for playing, in any case. Dave! (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Dumb question, in all probability

(...) Assuming a perfect draw (50% chance of either color if there are 100 candies present with 50 each) and that the draw is without replacement.. let's work the white case first, that is, what is the probability of WWWWW ? (...) (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Dumb question, in all probability

Assuming that a pack of the new Black&White M&M's has exactly 50 of each color, what are the odds that the first five candies drawn from the package will be of the same color? (21 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Sci Fi Novels --> movies

(...) It's been on the table for about 20 years now, and supposedly things were getting underway about four years ago (20th Century Fox, director of Speed/Twister, etc.). I can't find any info post-2002, though, and most of the solid stuff dates (...) (21 years ago, 6-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Sci Fi Novels --> movies

(...) Ooooh, good call. That would be sweet. Soren (21 years ago, 6-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Sci Fi Novels --> movies

(...) Speaking of sci-fi novels begging for a film adaptation, I've always thought the Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison would make rip-roaring films. I vote for Jude Law to play Slippery Jim di Griz Allister (21 years ago, 6-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: open relay??

(...) The way pair sets up their servers, they don't go through any mail relays before sending out mail - and since that IP isn't LUGNET's (or pair's for that matter), it must be a server between LUGNET and your mail server. As far as the Bayesian (...) (21 years ago, 5-Mar-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Yes, there's going to be basically insane amounts of redundancy -- not just live mirroring, but staged images so that any corrupted data isn't instantly propagated to all the backups. (...) Oh, what, the above part wasn't geeky? :) (...) With (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Yeah, we're going to examine all of the data and see which should be mounted with which special options. Some stuff will be mounted 'sync' to reduce the chance of data loss in the event of power failure or system crash, neither of which should (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Don't forget to turn off atime updates ('noatime' option in FreeBSD fstab) on all filesystems that don't need it (everything but var usually). This will prevent all those reads from inadvertantly creating filesystems writes. Brickshelf too is (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Look at (URL). Although I need to update that page. Right now, our install server is way underpowered, but it should be getting upgraded sometime this spring (just in time for BU Linux 4.0, hopefully). Because of this, it's only available on (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Yeah, sorry, I wasn't saying I though that you should have gone the SCSI route (I thought my anecdotes would have showed that!) more that I thought it was interesting the move away from SCSI for custom built servers. A few years ago it would (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) I agree completely on the utility of tape. Speed, size, cost, and reliability are always a problem; tape systems seem to always be a generation behind what disk drives need (and with the relative demand curves, they are not going to catch up). (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Not to mention the fact that current IDE drives are just as reliable as SCSI. SCSI is nice if you need maximum speed and can live with little storage space (SCSI above 74 GB is rare still, IDE goes to 250GB easily But the generated heat and (...) (21 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact