 Off-Topic / Geek / 4675
Re: Appleseed 4/17/2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:22:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mladen Pejic wrote:
   In lugnet.build.mecha, Soren Roberts wrote:
   Okay, my $.02...

LUGNET’s biggest Otaku (1) has spoken, and he’s on MY side! ;-p

I’m not really the biggest otaku on Lugnet, just the most vocal, I suspect. Domo arigatou!

   Mladen: Agree, CG+anime=ugh, 99% of the time. See Blue Submarine No.6 or Vandread for good examples. On the other hand, there are anime like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell that use CG very well.

Of course, there are always exceptions. I welcome CG when it used for segments in anime that benefit from it, and/or that would look silly if they were drawn by hand.

Agreed. I’m still not sure what category this falls into. Maybe if they’d stop cutting away every time I try to focus :).

   Jason: I think what Mladen’s complaining about is the tendency to mix cel animation and CG, not CG itself.

I sure am! :-)

Personally, I don’t mind CG-only, or even most CG/live action blends, but anime with CG segments just looks bad most of the time. I don’t know why, could just be me.

It’s the awkward transition.

Yeah, that’s what I meant to say. Need... Sleep...

   Plus, anime is IMHO, as a fanboy no less, an artform.

Oh yes, indeed.

   It is so utterly unique to the Japanese that any attempts to copy it fails.

I dunno, I think Samurai Jack comes pretty close. And they make so many in-jokes, I gotta give them props for that.

   Furthermore, any attempts to bring it into the so called “modern” world of CG is rubbish. Keep it hand drawn, and use CG only if it absolutely necessary.

No, use CG when it suits you. Art has no hard and fast rules.

99% of the time, though, I wish they didn’t...

   BTW, CG is more of a “American” phenomenon. I mean, look at PIXAR, is there anything from Japan that can even compete with the success PIXAR has had?

Here or there?

   Are CG Japanese movies even remotely as funny and stylish at PIXAR’s? No. And yes, I have seen the Final Fantasy movie. Yes, I want those two hours of my life back. :-(

Yeah, those two hours would be better spent playing the games.

   In this case, I’m more interested in whether or not they bugger the plot and characters up as badly as the old, horrible OVA. If they do even slightly better, I’ll be happy.

Oh, I’m confident they will mess up the plot. But hey, the action will still probably own. :-)

Oh, I don’t know. It could go either way, from what I’ve seen (Damned little.) What’s up with Japanese trailers, anyway? Why so many cuts?

   (1) No offense Soren, I mean that in the most complimentary way.

We’re not people, we’re otaku! No offense taken.

   I only wish I could read as much manga and watch as much anime as you. bows low

Hey, you’re a student now, right? Hit the campus anime club and hang around for a while. Make some friends, and they’ll steer you towards the good stuff.

Seriously, get connected. A good 80% of what I watch, I borrow from people or see at local club screenings. Also, sites like The Anime Review can help turn you on to stuff you’ll like.

Soren