 Off-Topic / Geek / 3682
Re: question about the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 22:56:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:
When I was down burning through the last of my grant money in the form
of a mileage reimbursement, I got to thinking...

What do people who live in nations where the metric system is used call
mileage?  For english speaking countries is there a word such as
"kilometerage"?  Is there a word that translates to this in other
langauges?  Is it just refered to as a travel reimbursement?

Well, here's a tough one...
In Portugal we use the word "quilometragem" (or "kilometrage", if you
prefer), when referring to cars and trains; for ships and aircrafts the use
of the Imperial Measures is standard, so the word "Mileage" applies.
Some examples:
"My car now has a kilometrage of 10000"; "I need a mileage of 10000 to get a
free airplane ticket"

I believe the word exists in some other countries too, like Spain and
France; but I really don't know if it exists in *any* english speaking nation.

Forgive my curiosity, but why did you ask? Would you by chance have suddenly
found the advantages of the decimal system, comparing to the Imperial?  ;-)

Pedro