 Off-Topic / Geek / 3686
Re: question about the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 02:00:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:
Fredrik Glöckner wrote:
Mileage, as in miles per gallon?

um... yes and no.  my question was more so aimed at straight distance
like "the mileage on my car's odometer is 52000 miles (or ~83686 km).
But either meaning should work. :)

In Aus, a common way to say it is "my car has 83000 Ks[1] on it".
Officially, engine economy is measured in litres per 100km. Because that's
way too long to say, most people don't bother trying - it generally only
comes up when you're buying a car.

[1] kilometre is generally abbreviated to "K"

ROSCO