 Off-Topic / Geek / 3679
Re: question about the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 19:38:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:

What do people who live in nations where the metric system is used call
mileage?  For english speaking countries is there a word such as
"kilometerage"?  Is there a word that translates to this in other
langauges?  Is it just refered to as a travel reimbursement?

Here in Canada we call it mileage.  If you look at an Auto Trader magazine,
the ads list the cars' mileage.

A funny thing - I'm a programmer, and I developed a system a few years ago
that required users to enter a "mileage" which was passed into a third party
application.  The system was designed for the UK, and they were quite
pleased with it.  Then some nut here in Canada with a global vision decided
that "mileage" too American a word for an international company, so we changed
all the screens to read "distance."  Of course, the third-party app uses
"mileage" throughout, and the result was a bombardment of help desk calls. So
the UK changed all their screens back to "mileage," and we still get the
occasional complaint for using the word "distance."  Ain't beaurocracy great?

Jeff J