 Off-Topic / Geek / 3714
Re: question about the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 21:12:05 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote:
I remember reading something in one of my dad's (surely totally unbiased)
woodworking magazines a while ago about how wooden cutting boards are
actually better than plastic ones -- the plastic boards get little cuts all
over where the bacteria dig in and live happily, whereas bacteria that get
into the wood are largely killed by natural antibacterials in the wood
itself.

I reckon that if this is true, it would greatly depend on the type of
wood that the cutting board is made of, the age of the board (e.g. a new
board would have a greater amount of tannins and other allelopathic(1)
compounds), what type of finish the board has, etc.  I think it would
also depend on the climate of the kitchen/storage location.

I have both a large plastic board and a small wooden board.  From the
looks of them, i'd rather use the wood one.

-c