 Off-Topic / Geek / 3694
Re: question about the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 17:32:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:
Pedro Silva wrote:
Pedro (who illegally used a wooden spoon to cook dinner tonight - thanks, EU!)

Is this because of bacteria?

Allegedly. But I never got food-poisoned, so it sounds void to me...
It's a bit dumb as a rule. Some years ago they also forbid stomping grapes
to make wine (as done since time immemorial), for the same reason. If they
keep this path, noone will be able to eat yohgurt, or cheese!!!
Plus there is the issue of slaughterhouses: animals destined for food
production must be killed in these facilities, which creates massive
problems for the Moslem/Jewish communities. And everytime a pig is killed in
a country festivity around here, people can be fined. Not to mention
Bullfights... :-/

Do they still sell them within the EU?

Not legally, I think. They are strictly forbidden in restaurants and such.
However, they can be sold *as handicraft*. What you do with them later, at
home, is your own matter, isn't it?  :-)

In general, I think the EU is good, and I'm very enthousiastic about it. But
I get very upset when it tries to regulate small things like these for the
sake of safety, when the same procedures have been followed for ages without
reason to worry. It is just pointless!

Pedro (who can no longer eat his city's dish, currently illegal :-(  )