 Off-Topic / Geek / 3691
Re: question about the metric system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 20:29:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:
Pedro Silva wrote:
Well, here's a tough one...
In Portugal we use the word "quilometragem" (or "kilometrage", if you
prefer), when referring to cars and trains; for ships and aircrafts the use
of the Imperial Measures is standard, so the word "Mileage" applies.
Some examples:
"My car now has a kilometrage of 10000"; "I need a mileage of 10000 to get a
free airplane ticket"

Thanks for the info.  So in the last example is used in the context of
frequent flier miles?

Absolutely.
They didn't even bother to translate "Frequent flier", since they assume
most portuguese frequent passengers are familiar with the english language.
And they are not wrong... :-)
(A quick note: noone here actually says "milhagem", or mileage; we *infer*
it in this particular context, nothing else!)

Forgive my curiosity, but why did you ask? Would you by chance have suddenly
found the advantages of the decimal system, comparing to the Imperial?  ;-)

well, as a scientist i'm well informed of the inherent goodness and
usability of the metric system-- I use it more frequently than the
imperial system I grew up with.  I actually got called anto-american a
few weeks ago when someone stopped me while i walking down the sidewalk
and asked me directions somewhere and I said it's about a kilometer down
the road. ;)

LOL!
I can immagine the face - I've given the same type of instructions to a
British tourist once, and he was pretty disoriented (he was amazed why we
allowed 120 in freeways... :-P)

Now only if I could convince my Saturn dealer to switch the odometer in
the car over to metric...

Isn't it just a sticker?

ps.  it is 10 times better as well!

Well,... DOH!  ;-)