 Off-Topic / Geek / 3701
3700  |  3702
Subject:
Wood and bacteria (was: question about the metric system)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 14:37:06 GMT

In article <slrnadbptv.5ih.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>,
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
I remember reading something in one of my dad's (surely totally unbiased)
woodworking magazines a while ago about how wooden cutting boards are
actually better than plastic ones -- the plastic boards get little cuts all
over where the bacteria dig in and live happily, whereas bacteria that get
into the wood are largely killed by natural antibacterials in the wood
itself.

The one I read not too long ago wasn't that they were killed by the
wood, but that when they got in there, it was just under the surface
of the wood. On the plastic boards they live on the surface so it's
easier for them to get into your food. I think in both cases after the
cutting board sits for a day and drys out the bacteria becomes
dehydrated and dies.

The other thing I read was that with wooden cutting boards you could
nuke them for several minutes and heat them up and kill all the
bacteria. The downside was it's very bad to for the wood and drys it
out and causes it to warp and split.

--
DON'T PAY MORE FOR WEB HOSTING THAN WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY
At Full System, Inc. you invent the package *and* the price!