 Off-Topic / Geek / 1667
Re: Desktops with SCSI RAM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:25:14 GMT

Perhaps you are talking about a SCSI RAM drive ? this is a SCSI DVD RAM
Recorder .....I have never heard of SCSI RAM as in SCSI accessed RAM Memory
modules.. but I have seen SCSI DVD RAM drives ....They use thier own version of
recording media .... ( I could be totally wrong here as I have never actually
worked with any of such devices but I "think" this is what Dell is talking
about)
John

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Selçuk Göre writes:

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Does anyone know of a company that sells desktop PCs with SCSI RAM?  It appears
that to get SCSI RAM at Dell, you need to get a workstation instead of a
Desktop...
TIA,
--Bram

Actually I never heard a thing like "SCSI RAM", but I'm not familiar
with systems other than PCs, so it can be.

In case you mean a SCSI subsystem for HDD, CD-ROM and such devices, You
may have it easily, although it might be quite expensive when compared
to an EIDE sub system. First you need a separate controller (in EIDE
case, you already have it with your motherboard, and yes, there are
motherboards with onboard SCSI, but for an additional price, too) and
second at the high end (20 gigs and more) SCSI HDDs are much more
expensive than the EIDE ones.
Performance increase is not worth the price paid I think, especially in
these days of light speed EIDE/UDMA2 drives.

Selçuk