 Off-Topic / Geek / 1696
Re: Desktops with SCSI RAM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 17:47:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Wilkins writes:
See, the promary reason I'm squarely on the SCSI side of this debate is that
I've been a Mac dude for years; I've got piles of old SCSI drives lying

Kinda funny that a Mac person would still be squarely on the SCSI side of
things since it has been a _long_ time since Macs have come standard with
anything but IDE drives.  :)

around. Everytime I build a new (PC) box, I tend to use an inexpensive SCSI
controller, and one or two of the drives I already own.

Yep, and there are inexpensive controllers to be had.  I just bought a new
Tekram SCSI-2 controller for $37 because I wanted to convert an old 233 to
full-time burning and CD copying.  Slapped the $37 card in and the Plextor
4/2/20 RW and Pioneer 6X DVD I had laying around and made myself a dedicated
burning / backup machine.

If I had to go out and
buy these drives new, heck no I wouldn't go SCSI! The differences between the
two formats with respect to what I use the computers for is so slight as to
not warrant any discussion.

Yup, same here.  And same with most folks.

But on the other hand, the part of me that makes me drool over souped-up cars
is the same part that tells me that I _have_ to put Ultra2LVD 7200 RPM drives
into the Athlon 1Gig system I'm building. *smirk* Not doing so would be akin

You can, but you'll still be wasting the money.  ;)  $289 for an 18gb IBM
drive (x2?) and at least $150 for a controller (Tekram 390U2W) for a total of
$728 versus $187 for a 36gb 7200 rpm ATA66 drive.  I'd take that $541
difference and put it towards a 21" monitor.  :)  But to each his own.

to building a 67 Camaro Super Stock dragster, and settling for cheap wheels
and tires (not really, but there is some comparison...)

Not into cars myself.  I'd be happy to live in a place like NYC that didn't
force me to have a car.  Just not NYC.