 Off-Topic / Geek / 1692
Re: Desktops with SCSI RAM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 00:30:44 GMT

See, the promary reason I'm squarely on the SCSI side of this debate is that
I've been a Mac dude for years; I've got piles of old SCSI drives lying
around. Everytime I build a new (PC) box, I tend to use an inexpensive SCSI
controller, and one or two of the drives I already own. If I had to go out and
buy these drives new, heck no I wouldn't go SCSI! The differences between the
two formats with respect to what I use the computers for is so slight as to
not warrant any discussion.

But on the other hand, the part of me that makes me drool over souped-up cars
is the same part that tells me that I _have_ to put Ultra2LVD 7200 RPM drives
into the Athlon 1Gig system I'm building. *smirk* Not doing so would be akin
to building a 67 Camaro Super Stock dragster, and settling for cheap wheels
and tires (not really, but there is some comparison...)

-Cheese

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Wilkins writes:
I believe that this is the reason SCSI is a better drive interface solution
for many gamers. UDMA and ATA66 might have equal to or better throughput than
Ultra2Wide and LVD SCSI, but you don't get the processor hit from SCSI that
could mean the difference between getting fragged and dodging.

Maybe if you're gaming on a crappy machine.  I love these "SCSI vs IDE"
talks.  I own and use systems with both.  The _only_ times I notice the
differences are when I'm copying gigantic amounts of data from one drive to
another.  And I mean hundreds of megs.

Its not like you see a lot of disk-intensive activity during games in which
you might be fragging or dodging anyway, other than at the beginning of a
level.

I think SCSI on just about any machine you might use for most things in a
personal way is a waste.  At least it isn't a ridiculously expensive waste
anymore, with prices on most SCSI drives dropping right now, but you can get
so much more bang for your buck by going ATA66 right now, as has always been
the case, and performance is not as much of an issue anymore.

Now for servers or even workstations that require a lot of disk-intensive
activity, sure, SCSI makes sense.  For the 566/850 I just had built that
serves as my gaming (UT, SOF, soon to be Diablo II and Vampire: Redemption),
web surfing, Office 2000 machine it would have been a senseless waste of
money.  Even if I'd gone with a Tekram SCSI card (I use them in two machines
for DVD/CDR) I'd still be spending around $100 or so, and at least $440 for a
36gb hd.  $540 versus the $160 or so I paid for my ATA66 drive.  To give me,
as a gamer, probably no measurable performance increase.  That $400+ will be
better spent on a GeForce 2 or maybe towards a 21" monitor.