 Off-Topic / Geek / 1702
Re: Desktops with SCSI drives (was Re: Desktops with SCSI RAM?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 17:27:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jim Hughes writes:
However I disagree with Mike on Gateway, I think Gateways suck, have had
uniformily bad experiances with them and if forced would choose Dell.

I didn't say anything about the machines themselves, I just relayed some
experiences we'd had with the company at work.  As a company Gateway is much
easier to deal with when it comes to getting what you want in a desktop
machine, in my experience.  I'd choose the Dells over the Gateways also for
the machines I have to support - in fact all of the machines I directly
support ARE Dell machines, with the exception of a new server we got for free
from Gateway/ALR and have since beefed up.

Gateway seems much more eager to please us, which makes sense considering we
as an institution probably spend upwards of a few million dollars per year on
machines.  Dell wants our business but doesn't seem to be willing to fight for
it too much, which is what the last two rounds of purchases for my dept
proved.  After hearing a Dell rep say they couldn't even quote a machine we
wanted in the price range we were shooting for, that supposedly they would
lose money on it, they came back with a better machine at in that price range,
proving the sales rep's lie.

Yeah, all of my experiances have been with single home machines, I am sure
buying a whole department worth of machines is quite a different story.

But if price and sales rep honesty were not an issue, I'd stick with Dell
also, for business machines.  I unwisely chose a Gateway for my own work
desktop last time.  Won't be making that mistake again - their website and
support site sucks and its a pain to get the right info from them.  Dell beats
them hands down for that.

But I wouldn't buy a machine for myself from either of them.  I'd buy from a
local store (as in local custom shop, not a dept store) a long time before I'd
buy from them.

I agree with you there. My first 2 computers were purchased from a local mom
and pop computer store. since then everything has been hand built.

With the system you were describing keep in mind you are paying a severe
premium for the current fastest class of Pentium (e.g. my PIII was a pull and
cost me $150) and the monitor you will get will pretty much suck. My personal
opinion for a graphics workstation is to get the absolute best monitor you • can
afford at the expense of the fast processor. Processor speed can be largely
made up with alot of RAM but there is nothing you can do about a bad monitor.

Yup.  You never want to buy the best (or even right next to the best)
processor - you're paying WAY too much for it during the time that it is the
best.  Monitors make all the difference in the world for me.  My Optiquest V95
is just barely tolerable after coming from work and my nice Mitsubishi 21"
Diamondtron.  In fact, if I buy anything else computer-related this year it
will be a nice 21" monitor.

I have a 17" Sony 200PS, cost me $850 several years ago, best computer
peripheral I have ever had. If I were in the market for a monitor today I would
seriously consider an Apple flatscreen LCD.

Jim